FIRE SAFETY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS!!
FIRE SAFETY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS!!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner!! This is the time of the year FOOD is one of the main focus’s - The delicious turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, carnberries and the list goes on! And what does that mean?? Lots of things going on in the kitchen and lots of people all helping out. You may not realize that everyone’s favorite eating holiday Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires! That is according to the US Fire Administration (USFA), a division of the Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA)
SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach has some fire safety tips for you and your loved ones this holiday season.
KEEP THE CHAOS OUR OF THE KITCHEN
Holiday meal preparation can be hectic, especially once guests begin to arrive. For everyone’s safety, insist that all non-food-related activity happens outside of the kitchen. Fewer people in the kitchen means fewer chances for a kitchen fire during holiday cooking.
NEVER LEAVE THE STOVE UNATTENDED
Stand by your pan! If you have to leave, turn the burner off. Make sure that all the handles are facing towards the middle of the stove, where no one can bump into them.
DRESS FOR SAFETY
When you’re in the kitchen, how you dress can be critical. Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves, and tie back long hair. Loose clothing and long hair can catch fire when you least expect it, causing severe burns and spreading the fire to the rest of the kitchen.
BE READY TO PUT OUT A COOKING FIRE
The most effective way to put out a cooking fire is to smother it. Keep a tight-fitting lid and potholder within reach anytime you use the stove so you can smother any flames that ignite inside a frying pan or saucepan. Keep a working fire extinguisher handy for fires that start outside a cooking pot or pan. Remember to aim the extinguisher at the base of the flame, not at the flames themselves.
IF YOU CANNOT GET A COOKIING FIRE UNDER CONTROL QUICKLY, EVACUATE THE HOUSE AND CALL 911.
SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach 850-863-2552 wants to wish you and your family a very Happy and SAFE holiday season!!
"I Think I Have Mold"
“I THINK I HAVE MOLD.” IS A COMMON PHONE CALL THAT WE GET HERE IN THE PANHANDLE OF FLORIDA.
FLORIDA WOULDN’T BE FLORIDA WITH OUT HIGH HUMIDITY AND THAT IS WHY WE SEEM TO HAVE MORE PROBLEMS WITH MOLD THAN THE OTHER HOMEOWNER IN OTHER STATES.
Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Mold spores are microscopic, floating along in the air and may enter your home through a window, door or AC/heating systems. They can even catch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet. Mold spores thrive on moisture and can start growing within 72 hours. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water or high humidity. Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to mold problem areas. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants. Try to keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE MOST FREQUENT WAYS THAT MOLD ACTUALLY BECOMES A PROBLEM IN A HOUSE OR YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS:
- Roof damage from aged roofing materials or a strong storm
- Leaking pipes or sewer back-ups
- Household equipment overflowing such as a dishwasher, washing machine or water heater
- AC units blowing too much humidity
- Condensation on cold surfaces
- Heavy rain or flooding from severe storms or cresting of rivers and/or a storm surge
- Damp crawl spaces or basements
If you have any reason to think you have a mold problem or have water damage of any kind please give us a call at SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach 850-863-2552. Our highly trained technicians are here for you 24/7/365. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Some Myths about Mold
A FEW MYTHS ABOUT MOLD THAT EVERYONE THINKS ARE TRUE!
When it comes to mold there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there. The mention of the word “MOLD” people will start to panic. In reality, mold can be a serious problem, but with a little common sense and the right information, you can learn what is truth and what is myth when dealing with mold.
HERE ARE A FEW MYTHS ABOUT MOLD
- ALL MOLD IS BAD – NOPE!! Do you like blue cheese? Or have you ever given taken penicillin? Mold is used in making cheese and medicine.
- BLEACH KILLS MOLD – This is half truth. Bleach may kill certain kinds of mold on non-porous surfaces however, it is not clear that bleach can kill all kinds of mold nor kill mold on porous surfaces such as mold. Research is continuing to be done on the effectiveness of bleach as a mold cleanup agent.
- KILLING MOLD IS ENOUGH, I DON’T NEED TO REMOVE IT – Killing mold is not enough. Putting aside the conflicting reports on what kills mold, simply killing mold does not remove the health effects as the allergens are still present even in dead mold. To properly protect against health effects, removal of the affected areas is often necessary. Care must be taken when removing the affected areas so that the allergens and mold is not spread throughout the home or place of business. That is why you call the professionals SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach 850-863-2552 to properly fix the problem.
- MOLD IS NATURAL, YOU SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IT – While mold may be natural, constant exposure to mold can have a negative effect on someone’s health. If mold is growing in your home or place of business it needs to be addressed because it will not only deteriorate your home/building but cause health issues with you family or coworkers
- IF YOU ONLY SEE A LITTLE BIT OF MOLD IT IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT – If mold is to the point that you visibly see it growing on surfaces in your home or work place then you have a problem! Mold is like an iceberg, you generally see only the tip of it while the majority is below the surface. If you see a little bit of mold you mostly likely have more growing that your cannot see!!
- CLEANING UP MOLD ISNT HARD! YOU SHOULD DIY! – This is another half truth. While you may be able to clean up certain kinds of mold in small quantities most people are not equipped to do proper mold remediation. Simply wiping down the evidence is not good enough. If it is more than 10 square feet then you first need to have a hygienist come in and do testing and a protocol the call your professional SERVPRO of FORT WALTON BEACH 850-863-2552 to come in and do the proper containment of the area and follow the protocol to make sure that your home or office is properly cleaned.
Fire Prevention Week in the Fort Walton Beach Region
Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14, 2017
Be Ready in Fort Walton Beach if Fire Strikes
October 8-14, 2017 is Fire Prevention Week, offering you and your family the perfect opportunity to evaluate your home’s fire risk. As the weather cools, you spend more time inside, increasing the possibility of accidental fires. Take the time to review your fire prevention strategy, and complete yearly tasks that ensure the technology you rely on to alert you and your family is in good working order.
Make sure a working smoke alarm is installed on every level of your home. Also, install a smoke detector in each bedroom. Use the yearly observation of Fire Prevention Week to change the batteries in your smoke detectors or alarms, but also make sure you test each alarm monthly. Resist any temptation to disable a smoke detector in the kitchen because cooking steam or smoke sets it off occasionally. Instead, invest in and use high-quality exhaust fans when cooking.
Purchase appropriately rated fire extinguishers and distribute them throughout your home, concentrating on areas where the fire risk is highest. Kitchens, workshops, garages, and utility or laundry rooms are obvious choices, but ensure that an extinguisher is easy to access in every space of your dwelling. Test them regularly and recharge after use.
Plan And Clear Escape Routes
Plan and practice a fire escape plan for each room of your home. Discuss the plan with all members of your family and hold drills regularly so all are confident in what they should do and that they can do it. Assess for special needs like safety ladders for upper stories or your home, and then install and practice their use. Be sure that windows and doors you plan to employ as escape pathways are free of obstructions and are not screwed or nailed shut. Paint and caulk can interfere with opening a window or door. Remedy this problem if you find it impossible to open an escape route.
Review Insurance Coverage And Catalog Your Belongings
Contact your insurance agent yearly to review your fire damage coverage. Make an effort to document and inventory heirlooms and other items with high monetary or sentimental value in your home. Claims are easier to establish with this evidence in hand.
If despite your planning a fire damages your home, contact SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach at (850) 863-2552 for fast and high-quality restoration services. We have the trained technicians, experience, and professional equipment necessary to bring your home back to preloss condition after a minor or major fire.
For more information on Fort Walton Beach click here.
National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
The Ribbon Signifies a Vital Endeavor
SERVPRO Proudly Supports National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
Suicide is a tragedy that can affect any individual, whether as a person struggling with suicidal ideation and thoughts or as one of a circle of family, friends, and community members who want to help. Many resources are available year-round for both victims and their circles, but September is the month we refocus on the supports in our community. Suicide prevention is only effective if the information is made available and shared throughout the Fort Walton Beach area, and we are reminded each September to do our part to make this happen.
We at SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach have the honor to be part of the network victims and their support circles turn to after suicide affects their lives. Compassionate and professional restoration services are our contribution, and we deliver them quickly, discretely, and with respect for all those impacted by the traumatic event. Our entire company commits to deliver what is needed at your home or business to help the healing begin.
More information on this area click here.
Fire Damage in Fort Walton Beach, FL
Fire Damage SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach cleaned-up
When a fire happens, the first thing homeowners want to do is return their home to normal. The last thing they want to do is deal with the paperwork. That's understandable when one of the worst things that can happen to your home actually does, it's a nightmare came true.
As a Fort Walton Beach homeowner, fire damage isn't just a job to you, and we at SERVPRO feel the same way. This is perhaps the most stressful thing to happen to you as a homeowner, and we will be with you from the first examination to when we put the keys back in your hand. We have six key steps to make sure it happens.
1) We make sure YOU are satisfied - Our inspectors and technicians will explain the restoration process to you and answer every question.
2) Minimize and further loss - Our teams are highly skilled and trained to prevent secondary property loss from smoke or soot damage and as we move your property out of the damaged areas and then back in once the work is completed.
3) Identify what can be restored - We will test every item that may have been exposed to determine if it can be cleaned, does not require cleaning or could be questionable and depends on your decision. We will also be honest with you about what is no longer useful and needs to be replaced.
4) Save you and your insurance adjuster time - We will help you work with your adjuster to process everything as quickly as possible. Our initial testing and inspections provide the adjuster with the information they need to get your fire insurance case started.
5) Report the scope of loss - Our work reports to the both of you keep the paperwork moving as we restore your home and property. They also help the adjuster review our services and prioritize the work schedule to reduce costs. Once we're done, we will provide a final report that will help the adjuster process all final paperwork.
6) Produce quality restoration - In the end, even if the insurance adjuster is happy with our work, we've failed if you aren't happy. This last step is what customer service is all about for us.
We don't just come in, drag out your possessions, throw on a coat of paint and then hand you a bill. As a locally owned franchise, SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach is here to help our neighbors through every step of the fire restoration process. If you need us, call us today at (850)863-2552 to get started.
Are You Ready for the Holidays?
The holiday season is one of the best times of the year! There is so much to look forward to, so you don’t want any accident to ruin your plans, home, or business.
There are a couple things SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach wants you to check before you get into that holiday spirit:
- Check your home or business furnace before starting. Change the air filter, clear the vents of any debris, and make sure your thermostat is working properly.
- Remember to turn off those lovely scented candles before you leave your house or office. Candles are one of the top fire starters when left unattended.
- Before placing your beautiful Christmas tree in the perfect spot, check the surrounding area. Make sure there is nothing that could catch the tree on fire, and that includes ornaments.
- Along with the Christmas tree placement, check the lights before you put them up outside or inside. Look for frayed wires or any hazards that could create an electrical fire. Do not overload your outlets, too.
- Take it easy on the cookie baking. Make sure your oven is working properly and if you smell gas and hear a hissing noise, leave your house and call the emergency utility line immediately. Do not reenter your house until it is checked for a gas leak.
- If you have a fireplace, have it inspected to see if it needs cleaning. Soot is flammable and can build up, so ensure your fireplace is good to go before you start using it!
SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach is available 24 hours a day, even on holidays, if an emergency occurs. Make sure to call 850-863-2552 if there is any emergency we can help with!
*Remember, we are available for carpet, tile, drape, and upholstery cleanings too! We want to ease the craziness and take care of all that for you! Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach!
October - Fire Prevention Month
Fire in Destin, FL
October in Florida – the perfect time of the year to get together with family and friends and prepare for the upcoming holidays ahead! There is so much to look forward to like bonfires, dinners, parties, and etc. SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach wants to remind you that October is also Fire Prevention Month! Your safety is so important to us that we want to share how to prevent fires from happening in your home or business.
Since 2013, SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach has partnered up with the American Red Cross and established the Disaster Responder Program to reduce fire injuries and deaths. We want to provide you with some tips to prevent fires:
- Install smoke detectors and test them every month to ensure they are working properly.
- Have a conversation with your family or coworkers about a fire escape plan and establish a meeting spot outside.
- Keep all items that could catch fire away from the stove and oven.
- Make sure all candles are blown out before you go to bed or leave the house.
- Learn how to use a fire extinguisher – you can contact your local fire department for training.
- Ensure you have flashlights that are easily accessible if the power goes out.
- Check your heating sources to make sure they are clean and working properly.
- Do not overload extension cords.
These are just some of the many ways to assist in preventing fires. You can find more information online at www.redcross.org/homefires. If a fire does occur, make sure to call SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach, we offer FREE board ups and can provide you with everything you need to make your home or office look “like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach customer experience
Customers experience with SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach after suffering a water loss in her Destin home
Having a water loss in you in your home is never an easy process to deal with, here at SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach we work hard to make that process as seamless as possible. We stand by our motto and work to make it “Like it never even happened.”
We often hear positive feedback about our services and crew members. Our owners recently received a typed letter from a more-than-satisfied customer. We are proud to have employees who go above and beyond their responsibilities to make sure customers are taken care of. Keep up the good work, John. You make us proud.
SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach specializes in: water remediation, flood mitigation, carpet cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, mold removal, fire damage, and smoke clean up, disaster restoration, storm response, and air duct cleaning. SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach has been serving the Emerald Coast for over 20 years. We are licensed and insured. SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach (850)863-2552
SERVPRO is here to help tips if your Fort Walton Beach home is affected by Fire & Smoke
Fire Damage in a Fort Walton Beach Home.
· Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particle from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
· Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
· Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
· If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
· Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
· Change HVAC filters, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
· Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system
· Attempt to wash any walls or painted surface
· Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstery furniture
· Attempt to clean any electrical appliances ( TVsets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water
· Consume any food or beverage that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water( They may be contaminated)
· Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
· Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, so SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach tailors a unique solution. Whether in Okaloosa, Walton, Washington or Holmes County we restore your property. Call us 24/7 for prompt service. (850) 863-2552