Some Myths about Mold
A FEW MYTHS ABOUT MOLD THAT EVERYONE THINKS ARE TRUE!
When it comes to mold there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there. The mention of the word “MOLD” people will start to panic. In reality, mold can be a serious problem, but with a little common sense and the right information, you can learn what is truth and what is myth when dealing with mold.
HERE ARE A FEW MYTHS ABOUT MOLD
- ALL MOLD IS BAD – NOPE!! Do you like blue cheese? Or have you ever given taken penicillin? Mold is used in making cheese and medicine.
- BLEACH KILLS MOLD – This is half truth. Bleach may kill certain kinds of mold on non-porous surfaces however, it is not clear that bleach can kill all kinds of mold nor kill mold on porous surfaces such as mold. Research is continuing to be done on the effectiveness of bleach as a mold cleanup agent.
- KILLING MOLD IS ENOUGH, I DON’T NEED TO REMOVE IT – Killing mold is not enough. Putting aside the conflicting reports on what kills mold, simply killing mold does not remove the health effects as the allergens are still present even in dead mold. To properly protect against health effects, removal of the affected areas is often necessary. Care must be taken when removing the affected areas so that the allergens and mold is not spread throughout the home or place of business. That is why you call the professionals SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach 850-863-2552 to properly fix the problem.
- MOLD IS NATURAL, YOU SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IT – While mold may be natural, constant exposure to mold can have a negative effect on someone’s health. If mold is growing in your home or place of business it needs to be addressed because it will not only deteriorate your home/building but cause health issues with you family or coworkers
- IF YOU ONLY SEE A LITTLE BIT OF MOLD IT IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT – If mold is to the point that you visibly see it growing on surfaces in your home or work place then you have a problem! Mold is like an iceberg, you generally see only the tip of it while the majority is below the surface. If you see a little bit of mold you mostly likely have more growing that your cannot see!!
- CLEANING UP MOLD ISNT HARD! YOU SHOULD DIY! – This is another half truth. While you may be able to clean up certain kinds of mold in small quantities most people are not equipped to do proper mold remediation. Simply wiping down the evidence is not good enough. If it is more than 10 square feet then you first need to have a hygienist come in and do testing and a protocol the call your professional SERVPRO of FORT WALTON BEACH 850-863-2552 to come in and do the proper containment of the area and follow the protocol to make sure that your home or office is properly cleaned.