October - Fire Prevention Month
October in Florida – the perfect time of the year to get together with family and friends and prepare for the upcoming holidays ahead! There is so much to look forward to like bonfires, dinners, parties, and etc. SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach wants to remind you that October is also Fire Prevention Month! Your safety is so important to us that we want to share how to prevent fires from happening in your home or business.
Since 2013, SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach has partnered up with the American Red Cross and established the Disaster Responder Program to reduce fire injuries and deaths. We want to provide you with some tips to prevent fires:
- Install smoke detectors and test them every month to ensure they are working properly.
- Have a conversation with your family or coworkers about a fire escape plan and establish a meeting spot outside.
- Keep all items that could catch fire away from the stove and oven.
- Make sure all candles are blown out before you go to bed or leave the house.
- Learn how to use a fire extinguisher – you can contact your local fire department for training.
- Ensure you have flashlights that are easily accessible if the power goes out.
- Check your heating sources to make sure they are clean and working properly.
- Do not overload extension cords.
These are just some of the many ways to assist in preventing fires. You can find more information online at www.redcross.org/homefires. If a fire does occur, make sure to call SERVPRO of Fort Walton Beach, we offer FREE board ups and can provide you with everything you need to make your home or office look “like it never even happened.”